DIY Guide in Building Solar Hot Water Heater
Are you aware of the fact that the water heaters that we have at home consume more energy compared to the other electrical and household appliances and devices combined? Are you searching for ways to reduce your electricity consumption? In case you are one of these individuals, then it is suggested that you construct you own solar hot water heater. How can you do it? Continue reading this article should you be interested to learn more about solar water heaters and ways of building one.
The Perks of Using Solar Energy in Powering Your Water Heater
There are lots of men and women out there who used solar energy in powering their water heaters and other household appliances because of its affordability and it is also considered as one of the cleanest renewable energy source nowadays. It is also environmental friendly, thus you can do your share in protecting the environment.
Studies reveal that solar hot water heater has the ability of cutting your heating costs by about 50%. In case you are one of the numerous property owners who have plans and intentions of decreasing their monthly electricity consumption and usage, then it is advised that they should build their own solar energy-powered water heaters. Undoubtedly, solar water heating is considered the most cost effective way of lowering electricity bill. Well,going green is deemed as the surest and the most effective way of saving money. Detailed below are guidelines on how you can construct your own solar-powered water heater.
Ways on How the Solar Hot Water Heater Works
Same with the traditional water heater, the solar-powered water heater has a water tank and heating coil. Actually, the water inside the tank is pre-heated by simply trapping the rays of the sun using the heating coil. The heated water then passively flows to the water pipes in your bathroom and kitchen.
How to Construct Solar Hot Water Heater?
1. First, it is vital that you build a box. This can be done with the use of 2x4s of strong particle board or plywood for the exterior and frame of the box. It is suggested that you build a box that is suitable enough in containing your full-size water heater. Construct a box measuring around seven feet long, five feet tall and four feet wide. It is also suggested that you construct and place the box at 30-degree angle so as to collect enough amount of sunlight from the sun.
2. Make sure to insulate your water heater’s interior areas with the use of strong insulation materials.
3. Make sure to place reflective material on above the insulation material, like roofing galvanize tin. Shape it like a huge metal cradle and secure it using staples or nails. The reflective curved tin will be the one to catch the rays of the sun and pass it to the water heater.
4. Be sure to place the water heater inside the gigantic box and don’t forget to cut holes to serve as the heater’s blow-out nozzle.
It is also suggested that you cover the huge box with the use of outdoor-grade glass. You should secure the sides of the box by placing sturdy wood sealant on it.
6. Lastly, connect your solar water heater to your home water heater.